Monday, December 27, 2010

No Longer Drug Free

GOOD NEWS:   Of my own free will I have entered the "Drug Zone"  No, no, nothing like Haight/Ashbury, commonly called Hashbury in the 60's.  This is the "Legal" drug zone.  Today I had my first chemo and radiation.  I clearly discovered a couple of  medical games.  The Chemo Game first.  Sodium Chloride has now become my beverage of choice while doing IV drugs.   It is kind of nice no pop-top, broken bottles, returns to save,  just empty the bag and throw it away.  But what about the game you may ask?. The game is to see how many times you have to pee during this procedure and how well you can "drive" the 6 wheeled bag support. You learn pretty quickly!   1000cc Sodium Chloride (a little more than a quart), followed by 500cc  Cisplatin, then another 1000cc Sodium Chloride.  Now the Radiation Game.  You are almost done except for a little glow juice (radiation) while your head is "bolted" to the table.  The nurses in radiation are too pretty so they do not cut the eye holes out and you can't see them.  Another game you might say.

But then I wonder if the Barrett Cancer Center were a bar what would I order?  Barmaid approaches and places a napkin on the table bending in such a manner that a tip has become  mandatory and says, "Hey Big Boy, what may I bring you to drink?"  As I casually refrain from "eyeballing" I say in my best professional announcer school, Barry White, type  voice, "I'll have The Cisplatin salt back and front with a pinch of radiation".

NOT GOOD NEWS:  Next to me were two people and before they were given drugs they must state their name and DOB.  One women looked like she had been through hell and was  born in 1950, the man on the other side was born in 1962, had all of his teeth pulled because they were so bad and lost 30 pounds.

THE REAL GOOD NEWS:  Jesus Christ is  in charge, enuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment